svn commit: trunk/busybox: applets include

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 14:08:55 UTC 2006

On 9/21/06, Bernhard Fischer <rep.nop at aon.at> wrote:

> So how is this better than allowing GPLv3, which, from what i read on
> the list, does enforce printing that license notice?
>
> I would also dislike this bloat if the legal foo was potentially
> compressed, at least this would add a bit less bloat.
>
> That said, which previous license violations are being dealt with
> currently? It's not that there isn't already evidence that several
> companies violate our GPL license as can be seen on the shame html
> page. What about dealing with those before
> a) acting upon a not yet established eventual threat that GPLv>=3 may
> impose according to your understanding
> b) adding stuff like this for no apparent reason since the code
> clearly is GPL already?
>
> highly irritating.

Hmm, I'm on the fence on this one.  On one hand, it's not overly intrusive,
and I see that message all of about once every three months or so.

On the other hand, I really dislike programs that feel it necessary to spit
out the names and life histories of all authors associated with the program,
reiserfsprogs being probably the pinnacle of disgust.  I was really happy
when Linus began clamping down on kernel modules spitting out far too much
stuff at startup for the same reason.

Does the SFLC really feel it necessary to include this in binary output,
rather than just plastering it in the source code?