This weekend's witch-hunt

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Sep 19 04:51:20 UTC 2006

Rob Landley wrote:
> Ultimatum, actually.

My right, darn it, an entirely reasonable request, and it would not have
done you the slightest bit of harm. Com'on, Rob, you're being stubborn.
> I was already planning on doing this.
You would then have had no reason to go filtering out code-lines. Now
you're going to insert some number of bugs in the code for a silly reason.
> If you hadn't done the whole Schlamiel thing and had simply asked with a
> little less condescension and bluster, I was already planning to do something
> very similar to that.

Your actions communicated the opposite. Rather than assure me that my
rights would be respected, you attempted to prove with amateur lawyering
that I didn't have any rights. And then you embarked on this forensic thing.
> However, I take objection to being treated like hired help.
I do not think of you as hired help. But before you cast that stone,
think of how you're treating other folks on this project.
> How'd the presidency of Linux Capital Group work out for you?
OK. If you insist. It's your mailing list.

You probably can't blame me for the stock market crash. When we saw that
the market was not going to come up for a while, we decided to close
down operations /before/ we used up our investors money, rather than
drag the company into bankruptcy for the sake of saving our own jobs for
a few more months. We paid all of our bills and closed with money still
left in the bank. The management (two other guys and me) took some of
our personal stock in Progeny Linux Systems Inc., one of the companies
we created, and /doubled /the holding of our investors. Without being
asked. Progeny has been around for 6 years, and has employed a number of
the Debian developers. That company might not make it, but all of the
Debian stuff we've paid for has done enough good.
> Is the Bruce Perens book series with Prentice Hall selling well?
We just put out a new book on Ajax. All of our texts become Open Source
and are distributed in unencrypted PDF 90 days after they hit store
shelves. I think there are 25 books now. I suspect that we have made
more Open Source documentation than the Linux Documentation Project. One
book of the 25 was a commercial failure. None of them sell like Steven
King. But technical books don't.
> How are you doing with  Open Source Risk Management?

Their business didn't take off. I moved on. You win some, and lose some.
> Did you accomplish a single concrete thing in your entire time at HP between
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-03-04-002-20-OS-BZ and
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-957065.html ?

At the moment I am wondering if they were snooping my telephone records,
because they certainly were doing that to all of the reporters that it
was my job to talk to. But if you want just one concrete achievement,
there is the reversal of W3C's decision to put royalty-bearing patents
in web standards. IMO that is a pretty big deal.

Hopefully that is enough of "What good are you, Bruce Perens" and we can
return to talking about Busybox now.
>> However, it's free software, and Rob has
>> the right to do what he did.
>>

> Then why the public melodrama, on a list you have never previously been a
> member of?

It takes both fuel and oxidizer to make a flame.

    Thanks

    Bruce