Unbreaking allbareconfig (svn 16125).

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Sep 18 14:16:36 UTC 2006

On Monday 18 September 2006 4:03 am, Bernhard Fischer wrote:

> >If we mean "/dev", why can't we say "/dev"?  The directory has had a
> >defined
>
> It's not primarily about "/dev" but about /var/log vs. /var/adm etc.

What's the difference?  Pick a path and use it.

> Furthermore, if someone wants to use "/devices" or "/d" instead of
> "/dev" in her router image, then it's only nice if she can change the
> path in one place. That's only a minor concern, though.

Having string constants where strings are used is simple.  Having the
information you're using separated from the point of use is unnecessary
complication.

> >meaning for 30 years.  Needing to centralize these in case we want to
create
> >non-unix versions of them really isn't something that interests me, and not
> >being able to see what the value actually _is_ when looking only at the
code
> >that uses it strikes me as a downside.
>
> {bb_,}path_dev_null should be pretty obvious to parse :)

If path_dev_null doesn't contain "/dev/null" then the variable name is
misleading.  If you know for a fact that it _does_ contain "/dev/null" then
it's pointless and you should just use "/dev/null".

Rob

(Still asleep, still grumpy.  Meeting was cancelled.)