Unbreaking allbareconfig (svn 16125).

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Sep 17 23:41:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 07:02:47PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Sunday 17 September 2006 2:05 pm, Rich Felker wrote:
> > Using #defines for these is even more nonsensical than using external
> > string vars. At least the extern vars save a few bytes.
>
> Yeah, if you use them from exactly one C file, the external string vars save
> negative four bytes (for the extra char * that has to save the value in case
> you take the address of it).

Don't use extern char *, of course this is a waste. Use extern char [].
It does not use any additional space to store a pointer; any reference
to the address is just a plain symbol reference.

And before anyone asks, yes there is an entry in the GOT if you're
using PIC. Whether it's an issue, I dunno.

Rich