Please tone down the GPL3 paranoia

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri Sep 15 16:43:53 UTC 2006

Jason Schoon wrote:
> The license itself (correct me if I am wrong, but I just visited
> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/info/GPLv2.html) does not state
> anything about later licenses.  The "or later" clause is added by
> individuals who select that license.
I really don't want to clog up this list with a legal discussion. If you
wish to follow up on this it might be best to call me at 510-526-1165. I
have one call scheduled this morning, so if I don't answer, try later.

To state it in short: the copyright holder's designation of the
applicable license must have all of the legal force of the license text
itself. Otherwise, there'd be no legal means to apply the license to the
copyrighted material.

    Thanks

    Bruce