Move GPLv2 vs v3 fun...

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Wed Sep 13 16:39:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 01:52:54PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
>So I'm looking at the patch attached to bug 999, and guess what I notice?  The
>current license on our grep.c is GPLv2 only.
>
>Now this one appears to have been a mistake on Bernhard's part back in
>http://busybox.net/downloads/patches/svn-11594.patch (the previous version
>was "or later" and I don't think he meant to drop the dual license) but it
>got me looking for other similar instances in the code:
>
>find . -name "*.?" | xargs egrep -i "GPLv2|GPL v2" | grep -v "or later"
>[chopped scripts/config/*]
>./archival/libunarchive/get_header_tar_lzma.c: * Licensed under GPL v2, see
>file LICENSE in this tarball for details.
>./archival/unlzma.c: * Licensed under GPL v2, see file LICENSE in this tarball
>for details.
>./modutils/insmod.c:            "GPL v2",
>./debianutils/which.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in
>this tarball.

mine, fixed.

>./debianutils/readlink.c: * Licensed under GPL v2, see file LICENSE in this
>tarball for details.

mine, fixed.

>./debianutils/run_parts.c: * Licensed under GPL v2, see file LICENSE in this
>tarball for details.

mine, fixed.

>./coreutils/seq.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in this
>tarball.

initially v2; Glenn's to decide?

>./coreutils/sum.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in this
>tarball.

vapier, fixed.

>./libbb/bb_do_delay.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in
>this tarball.

initially v2; Tito's to decide?

>./libbb/llist.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in this
>tarball.

fixed

>./libbb/find_pid_by_name.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE
>in this tarball.

fixed

>./libbb/bb_pwd.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in this
>tarball.

fixed

>./loginutils/su.c: *  Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in this
>tarball.

fixed

>./findutils/grep.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in this
>tarball.

Originally had "Permission to distribute this code under the GPL has
been granted.". Erik's

>./procps/pidof.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in this
>tarball.

fixed.

>./procps/ps.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in this
>tarball.

fixed.

>./util-linux/swaponoff.c: * Licensed under the GPL v2, see the file LICENSE in
>this tarball.

vapier, fixed.

>Anybody feel like auditing all those to make sure it was unintentional and
>check to make sure that nobody that's contributed to any of those files since
>is unwilling to also have their code under v3, or should we just admit that
>the BusyBox license is GPLv2 only?  (In which case we can take the hotplug
>patch...)
>
>Thoughts?

Most of these were copy'n paste errors. Corrected as of r16113