NTP support available?

ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov
Wed Sep 13 15:14:24 UTC 2006

Mihai -

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:20:59AM -0400, Mihai Buha wrote:
> Sorry, I _assumed_ your ntpclient implemented SNTP. I used a simplified
> point of view of a sysadmin, where "if it regulates the system clock and
> serves the time, it's NTP; if it just queries the remote time and sets
> the clock (like ntpdate from ntp.org), it's SNTP". I was not rigorous.

But pragmatic.  I understood.
nptclient can function as a simple "queries the remote time and sets
the clock".  It's more interesting when you let it regulate the system
clock (like NTP), but it purposefully never acts as a server.

> rdate is currently useless [chop]
> Declare it legally dead and let it rest in peace.

So make sure to leave it off the default configuration of busybox.
As long as it is testable, I suggest leaving its code base in.

   - Larry