zcip: pidfile support?

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 13 10:10:54 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 09:56, Steven Scholz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> how about pidfile support for the zcip applet?
> I need to keep track of running zcip daemons for different interfaces.

I am using runit machinery for handling things like this
and as a result the pidfiles are forgotten uglies
which I don't need.

http://smarden.org/runit/

Read the "runsvdir program" and "runsv program" links first...

> And in general how about adding pidfile support for the xdaemon() function?
> Maybe generating a new function
>
> 	xdaemon_with_pidfile(int nochdir, int noclose, const char *pidfile);

I found it easier to find decent (and *small*) daemon controlling
package instead... I do not even need things to daemonize themself,
it is a job of daemon controller... just like inetd services do not need
to bother about that by themself.

It's UNIX paradigm to do one thing, and do it right.
zcip should _only_ do zeroconf. Why pidfile? Why daemon()?

I am not trying to push it on people. If you don't like it,
then go for old way... even propose a patch maybe.
--
vda