zcip: 1.1.stable vs 1.2 ?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Sep 12 20:16:31 UTC 2006

On Monday 11 September 2006 10:52 am, Steven Scholz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> for an old embedded project I have to use an old compiler (2.95.4) thus I
> can't use busybox-1.2.

I'm not seeing gcc 2.95.4 on http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html, but that does
show that gcc 3.0 came out 5 years ago.  I believe previous conversations on
this topic decided that 7 years is the silliness event horizon for supporting
old versions (which isn't a guarantee, just a good rule of thumb about when
we can say "that's too old" based on nothing but the release date).

My oldest test environment is Red Hat 9 (from 2003), which uses a strange
intermediate snapshot between gcc 2.95 and 3.0.  It's possible that actual
2.95 got broken.  Bernhard poked me about this yesterday, I'm catching up on
the list...

> Now I wonder if the fixes recently made to "zcip" will be backported to
> busysbox-1.1.stable as well?

I don't plan to put out a 1.1.4 release, but I've got the start of a
1.2.2.fixes.patch in the downloads directory.  I have another month's worth
of changes to sift through before I actually get that up to a release, so
there's still plenty of time to get a fix in to that.