More bbsh design notes.

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 10:11:24 UTC 2006

> I've been working on terminal control today.  (Ok, in reality I just spent a
> couple hours helping make slides for upper management about a source control
> migration proposal, and now I'm catching up on my email, but I'm _trying_ to
> work on terminal control for bbsh.)

Command line editing and completion? I guess I should just pull it out with svn
and have a look around.

> Well, right now it does simple scripting, but doesn't have any actual flow
> control or pipes.  I'll probably do pipes next, which covers parsing | || &
> && > >> < << ; and ().  Flow control covers if, for, while, and function
> definitions with curly brackets.

Give me && and goto and I'll just pretend it's Fortran. :)

> > They have then switched to hacking udhcpc/script.c
> > to remove the script calling and directly add the calls to ifconfig and
> > generation of smb.conf !!!!
>
> *shrug*  If the script doesn't exist, or returns 0, the dhcp client should
> call ifconfig and route, and write resolv.conf.

I'm just not sure how many systems would be able to make use of this simple
default behaviour. Still, it can be configed out ...

> Well, shell/bbsh.c is in svn already.  It's not in the config system but you
> can build it my doing a make defconfig && make and then
> running "scripts/individual bbsh".  That'll create build/bbsh as a standalone
> executable.

OK, I'll have a play. I can also see if any of the other applets I'm using are
fixed (or broken!) on uClinux.

> I am
> hoping to have it replace lash before 1.3.0 ships in december, but how much
> more than that I'll get done is an open question.

Sounds great.

> Rob

Ian