tickless cron

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 6 17:15:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 11:12:02AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> It's the same number of total trips through the loop either way, and it
> doesn't require any additional wakeups either.  But my solution actually does
> _less_ work than yours, because it doesn't do the extra allocate/free pairs.

I agree with Rob here, unless there's something we're missing. Optimal
design for cron seems to be:

1. Read crontab entries, compute next wakeup time and remember it.
2. Sleep until wakeup time (or maybe signal for crontab reload).
3. If time >= wakeup time run all entries scheduled for wakeup time.
4. Goto 1.

> But I'm not particularly interested in arguing about cron because I don't use
> it and this conversation has not generated a patch, so I'm going to stop now.

Same here.

Rich