tickless cron

Rogelio Serrano rogelio.serrano at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 02:59:20 UTC 2006

On 9/4/06, Mark Richards <mark.richards at massmicro.com> wrote:

> > yes. its because i have a tickless kernel and it does not make sense
> > to reimpose ticks on the kernel from userspace after working so hard
> > to make the kernel tickless in the first place.
> >

> I am not familiar with a tickless kernel to know if cron will even be
> running during hibernation, or whatever it's called.

i dont know what you mean by hibernation. what i understand is that
when the timer fires off an interrupt the machine in some low power
mode wakes up and the cron process runs. if the kernel is tickless and
all processes are idle then the system can go to low power mode for
intervals that conserves a lot of battery power.

> Sounds to me more inviting to tackle re-writing cron anyway, but then I
> am prone to insanity and this one would surely put any programmer over
> the edge.

yeah been there...

--
the thing i like with my linux pc is that i can sum up my complaints in 5 items