Comments on recent patches.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Sep 2 19:34:58 UTC 2006

On Saturday 02 September 2006 2:02 pm, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> "POSIX 1003.1-2001 marks gethostbyaddr() and gethostbyname() obsolescent.
> See getaddrinfo(3), getnameinfo(3), gai_strerror(3)." Hmm.
>
> Looking at "man getaddrinfo", parts about AI_NUMERICHOST... maybe
> we should use this one? Looks less ugly.

I have no objection.

> "The getaddrinfo(3) function is not limited to creating IPv4 socket
> address structures..."
>
> BTW, other incarnations of parse_nipquad that we already have are buggy
> (will accept N>255 and/or garbage after last component).

Fun.

I haven't integrated my todo list in with the global TODO in svn because it
would overwhelm the existing TODO list entirely, and would then probably fall
out of date fairly quickly again.  That said, I believe the last time I
touched TODO I introduced per-developer TODO sections (since that's the only
thing that makes sense anyway).  If you wanted to add your own section and
notes things like this in there, that would be nice.

> > Going in the other direction, another repetition of "%u.%u.%u.%u" was in
the
> > CIFS patch to mount I just merged.  The comment on that was it doesn't
> > support ipv6.  I really haven't looked into ipv6, other than an idle
> > curiosity about whether it's possible to merge ping and ping6.  (I
honestly
> > don't know.  I live in the united states, which claimed most of the ipv4
> > addresses back when it invented the thing, and thus has yet to actually
need
> > ipv6 for anything.  Thus poking at ipv6 is way down on my todo list...)
>
> ipv6 folks should have thought how to make ip4 -> ip6 transition
> seamless, but didn't.

One of my co-workers was on some of the committees for that.  There's
apparently a lot of politics involved...