building busybox with a different uclibc to the toolchain version

David Daney ddaney at avtrex.com
Tue Oct 31 22:28:22 UTC 2006

Stuart Hughes wrote:
> I'm not really sure if this is a uClibc/gcc or busybox question, but
> here goes:
>
> I'm trying to build a powerpc target image using an older uClibc (0.27)
> than the one in my cross compiler (0.28).  The version of busybox I'm
> building is 1.1.3.
>
> The build works okay, but when I try to boot init just hangs.
> I tried building busybox statically and when this boots it dies:
>
> "init has generated signal 11 but has no handler for it"
>
> Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Signal 11 is SIGSEGV.  That it is happening in init is unfortunate as
that makes it rather difficult to debug.

One approach that I have seen that might be helpful in this situation is
to modify the Linux kernel so that it prints the ip and faulting address
to the console before sending SIGSEGV.  Then you would at least know
where the problem is happening.  Divining why is another matter all
together.

David Daney