ntpclient sanity checks

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Oct 28 20:55:55 UTC 2006

On Saturday 28 October 2006 3:30 pm, ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov wrote:
> My question to the group is, should these checks apply optionally (when
> selected with a new command switch), usually (unless deselected with a
> new command switch), or always?

Or perhaps disable the new checks with a CONFIG entry, to save the space?

> Plus, if a bad packet is received,
> should the server stand mute, or give a warning message (and with what
> level of detail as to how the packet flunked the tests)?  Remember,
> one of the goals is small size, so infinite configurability and message
> detail is not necessarily a good thing.  Also, the output is designed
> to be parsed by scripts and plotting programs, so adding junk has additional
> down side.

If we fail due to the tests, it's good to know that's _why_.  switch_root()
currently has this problem, and when I port it over to busybox I plan to add
a debug config option to it, so people can see _which_ of the five tests is
failing.  (It's usually forgetting the exec, but it should say why it failed
and hang rather than exiting with no explanation into a kernel panic.  At
least until they've got it working, then they can rebuild without the debug
checks.)

> This next version will be a little easier to suck into busybox

Mind if I add it to toybox too?  (When I get around to that, anyway.  I'm
currently wrestling with df, and it's being stroppy:
http://landley.net/notes.html#28-10-2006 .)

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery