busybox 1.1.3 - fork on nommu

Rick Garcia rick at liveoaklogic.com
Thu Oct 26 19:38:23 UTC 2006

Rob Landley wrote:
> I was trying to switch all uses of fork over to vfork.  (In toybox, I'm trying
> to use vfork for everything from day 1.  So far I have exactly one usage, and
> it's vfork().)

Is toybox available in any form for download?

>> I mean, I don't expect every developer out there to bow down before the
>> requirements of a system without a memory manager, but it would make
>> busybox a much more flexible and attractive package if it addressed the
>> issue directly.
>
> It was a todo item of mine.  And it's a ground-up design goal of toybox.

I've been thinking about just taking ash or lash and banging on them
until they're in a nommu-friendly state of mind.  I don't think it's
really possible to SOLVE the problem (kinda stretches across
kernel->uClibc->apps...), but a shell which was specifically coded for
nommu systems would go a long way towards side-stepping the issue; then
the kernel could handle the rest.  I noticed a few emails regarding a
bbsh which might be appropriate for this... has any work been done on
that anywhere?  And if so, where can I download it? :)

> Still need to find a toolchain for the thing though, and figure out how to
> re-flash it.  It's sitting on the couch, in a box, under a cat.  (Her name is
> George.)

:) sorry... can't help with that.  I'm working on m68knommu... I should
be getting a coldfire board in a few days that I can play with, so I'm
should be able to check that I'm not breaking any cpu32 stuff.

--
  - Rick Garcia
  Live Oak Logic