adding custom CFLAGS

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Oct 18 16:24:53 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 18 October 2006 12:25 am, Larry Brigman wrote:
> I have tracked down all my troubles to a tool chain issue.
> In using 1.1.2 I was able to use a custom CFLAGS variable
> that would allow me to point busybox to the cross compile tool
> chain includes and libraries.
>
> The current version does not allow these options.

By "current version" to you mean 1.2.1, or svn?

> How do I get that functionality back without reverting back
> to the older version?

Hmmm...  We added ":=" to avoid recalculating lots of check_gcc() macros
(which is PAINFULLY slow, and largely there so Bernhard can keep an old Tru64
system upright through various necromantic rituals).  Unfortunately, this is
overriding anything provided in environment variables, isn't it?

Probably the easy thing to do at the moment is search for CFLAGS:= in
Rules.mak (line 55 in my copy) and add your flags there.  This sucks as a
solution, anybody else got a better suggestion?

Makefiles are evil.  I am _so_ glad this is not my problem anymore.  Denis
replaced this mess entirely, which means they'll be re-fixing old bugs for a
while but hopefully have a better general infrastructure now...

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery