busybox mdev questions/problems with not deleting unplugged devices and execution support

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Oct 16 20:37:23 UTC 2006

On Monday 16 October 2006 1:11 pm, Elliot F. wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Friday 13 October 2006 12:44 pm, Elliot F. wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I'm having a few problems when using mdev in busybox 1.2.1 on linux
> >> 2.6.12 on arm (LE) built with a codesourcery toolchain (gcc 3.4).  I
> >> have registered mdev as the hotplug handler, and while it adds new
> >> (hotplugged) devices, it does not remove them when they are unplugged.
> >
> > http://busybox.net/downloads/patches/svn-15795.patch
>
> Just to give feedback, the above patch makes mdev correctly delete
> devices on unplug.
>
> > It'll be in 1.2.2
> >
> > http://busybox.net/downloads/busybox-1.2.1.fixes.patch
>
> Is there an expected time to see 1.2.2 released?

Yup, I just finished going through the patch backlog today, and the final
busybox-1.2.1.fixes.patch is in the downloads directory.  If you apply that
to 1.2.1, you should get 1.2.2.  An actual tarball release should be either
tonight or tomorrow, I'm just hoping to hear a bit of feedback first and
wondering if I'll work up the energy to complete the description part of the
changelog. :)

> grep'ing the .config yields CONFIG_MDEV=y, CONFIG_FEATURE_MDEV_CONF=y,
> and CONFIG_FEATURE_MDEV_EXEC=y.  I 'make clean' and 'make' (just to make
> sure) and copy it over.  The devices are deleted successfully now, but
> no action (appears to be taken.)
>
> I'll try to put in some debug printfs, but I would welcome whatever
> patches you suggest.  Your response leads me to believe that this should
> work...

Well, it worked for me.  I dunno if hotplug has a $PATH set, so you might try
feeding it absolute paths.

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery