[Fwd: Help with list post]

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Oct 5 16:45:36 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 4:25 pm, Eric Spakman wrote:
> Dear Busybox experts,
> I'm trying to get some help on using mdev is I really need to.
> I'm using 2.6.18 kernel and a file system I built from scratch.

I haven't tried it with 2.6.18 yet.  I'm under the impression that Greg KH
made a change to /sys that broke us (turning directory entries into
symlinks), but I haven't ported mdev to toybox yet.

> All my /dev entries are known before hand and I have no need to
> automatically create these entries. However, I have a usb port where a
> usb pen drive can be connected and disconnected at anytime. I'm trying
> to find out how do I call /sbin/hotplug so it will be executed. I
> thought this sore of thing was builtin to the kernel and all I have to
> do is enable hotpluggable device support. A little digging seem to
> indicate I have to use udev where the udevd deamon calls
> /sbin/hotplug.

Currently mdev just creates /dev entries, it doesn't do module loading and
unloading.  (Erik Andersen submitted a patch to add the automatic modprobe
support, and we've finally got the license issues sorted out, but haven't
gotten around to actually integrating it yet, that I've heard of.  It needs
some work to glue it into mdev smoothly, from what I remember.)

If all you want is the /dev entries, just tell the kernel to call mdev as the
hotplug executable, ala:

echo /sbin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

> From what I've read mdev replaces udev in busybox so, how is
> /sbin/hotplug called?

You have to either register mdev with the kernel as the hotplug handler, or
have your existing hotplug thingy call mdev after it's loaded modules for
you.