I'm going out now. I may be some time.

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 20:45:42 UTC 2006

Rob Landley wrote:

> I mentioned there's no shortage of non-BusyBox work for me at Timesys
> (although they did kind of enjoy having the BusyBox maintainer on staff :).
> Hobby-wise if the only way to have a _simple_ license notice is to start over
> from scratch, I can do that.  I've started a new project called "toybox"
> (purely for my own personal amusement so far).  Right now it's just a
> mercurial repository with a half-dozen files in it, but I'll be porting the
> applets _I_ wrote to the new base (and maybe Erik's if he doesn't object, he
> already said I can use his code GPLv2 only without actively stupid broken
> license notices), and that's also where I'll be writing a new shell and
> mke2fs and so on.  Maybe I'll put it up at http://toybox.landley.net or some
> such when I get the new server I ordered set up.  (Which won't be this
> weekend.  Memo to self: next time I check whether "barebones" includes a
> processor or not. :P )

  At this time I think the biggest lack of bb is about shell
compatibility with bash. All those scripts which works out of there are
not useable in bbox jail.

  Splitting shell from others applets could be a good thing.
  I hope libbusybox will be the bridge between the two projects.
  In the future bb-ash could be removed in favor of a better shell.
  Busybox should still have a minimal shell, as small as possible.

  I suggest to start your new project with a narrow and well defined
objective in mind. As soon as your project will show its value others
people will join it. Make it works and people will use it.

  Cheers,
--
Roberto A. Foglietta
http://roberto.foglietta.name