where to get the lease file

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 24 18:52:05 UTC 2006

On Friday 24 November 2006 15:26, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 12:38:54AM +0100, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > > dynamic DNS and existing TCP sessions that will have to be broken.
> >
> > Existing TCP sessions do not survive reboots anyway.
> > As to SMB/WINS idiosyncrasies versus dynamic IPs, well,
> > that's Microsoft for you.
>
> I was speaking about IP changes caused by dhcp server reboot. So
> clients' tcp sessions will survive that, hopefully. :)

You need a combination of DHCP server reboot and
client machine having problems responding to ARP probes.
Which is not a normal scenario however you look at it.

> And for SMB/WINS idiosyncrasies, I don't think NFS and other NAS systems
> accept changes of clients' IP address that gracefully, either.

I was referring to SMB/WINS not handling IP addreess changes _over reboot_.
WINS sometimes continue to think that rebooted box has old IP. Etc.

DHCP client box never changes IP address on the fly in the properly
(or maybe "sanely" is a better word) configured network.
Regardless of DHCP server reboot.

It happens only on reboot (or if user deliberately shuts down
and restarts his DHCP client daemon).
--
vda