Mount and ext3 issues with Busybox 1.2.2.1

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Nov 24 03:19:35 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 November 2006 5:40 pm, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thursday 23 November 2006 07:56, Jim Gifford wrote:
> > Rob Landley wrote:

> > > Why do you have "CONFIG_FEATURE_MTAB_SUPPORT" switched on?
> > >
> > > Rob
> >
> > I was just using make defconfig, which had that enabled.
>
> Yes, it was, but it is off now in svn.
> Probably my fault...

No, it was on because make defconfig enables all functionality that sane
people might actually want to use.

There are people out there who remove /proc from their kernels for the space
savings (which is actually fairly noticeable in terms of embedded boards
trying to get away with 4 megs of ram), and thus they haven't
got /proc/mounts.  (Yeah, it's often the same people who like nommu because
you don't need to waste RAM on page tables.)  If you symlink /etc/mtab
to /proc/mounts any attempt to write to mtab (which is all the new code
actually does) is a NOP, so the behavior's the same if the system's set up
right.

Stuff that's off in defconfig essentially never gets tested, because
allyesconfig enables things like SELINUX that nobody anywhere has a build
environment set up for.  It doesn't even get compile tested.  That's why it
was on by default, so it doesn't bit-rot.

This is a case of "configure what you actually need, understand what you're
actually doing" that shows the project needs more "how to configure the
sucker" documentation somewhere...

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery