where to get the lease file

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 22 21:04:40 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 19:11, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> > It isn't very informative, and usually I've found that a lot of INIT scripts
> > will remove the existing file and "touch" a new file in it's place as part
> > of the system startup..
>
> If you're talking about clients, then I see no problem with that. But
> with servers, that's wrong (unless in an embedded system without
> permanent storage).
>
> That file is only available source of current leases. So, in
> order to prevent assignment to clients of IP addresses already in use,

Why do you want to preserve that? The whole point of DHCP is that addresses
are dynamic. They can change. Anyone sitting on DHCP ought to be ready
for the fact that on each reboot (of DHCP client) [s]he can get
different IP.

DHCP server should try hard to not assign IP address which is already taken.
It can be done by sending ARP probes before you hand out new IP
to new client. Lease file is not needed for that.

--
vda