Telnetd not working

Jakob Engblom jakob at virtutech.com
Mon Nov 20 12:30:10 UTC 2006

> In both cases, telnetd runs, and according to netstat does
> enter into some
> form of communication (it has a communications channel open
> from port 23 to
> some port on the client).  But the telnet client reports
> "connection closed
> by foreign host" every time I try to connect.
>
> Any idea of what I am doing wrong here? Any known issues with getting
> telnetd to work? It is compiled to work without inetd, so
> that should not be
> the issue.

The problem was a misconfigured system on my ramdisk image. Probably not
news to anyone experienced with Linux & Busybox,  but I document it here
anyways for googlers to find if they have the same problem:

In order to use telnetd in busybox:

* The linux kernel used as to support UNIX98 PTYs
* Busybox has to be compiled to use UNIX98 PTYs on devpts
* There has to be a file /dev/ptmx (type C, major 5, minor 2)
* There has to be a directory /dev/pts

That solved it for me.

Best regards,

/jakob

Jakob Engblom, PhD, Business Development Manager

Virtutech             Direct: +46 8 690 07 47
Norrtullsgatan 15     Mobile: +46 709 242 646
SE-113 27 Stockholm   Web:    www.virtutech.com
Sweden