syslogd running on cramfs root

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Wed Nov 15 18:19:09 UTC 2006

Hello T Michael and all!

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 182, T Michael Turney wrote:
> We want to start using syslogd, which seems to want to
> use /dev/log as the socket to communicate with.
> /dev is on cramfs, so it is read-only.
[--SNIP--]
> We are wondering how other folks with a cramfs root filesystem
> have solved this problem.

A tmpfs mounted on /dev, with udev (or mdev as we are speaking of busybox) which
creates the devices at boot time and on-the-fly.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |