Custom initrd using busybox

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 18:55:15 UTC 2006

On 11/5/06, Jason Schoon <floydpink at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/5/06, Bernhard Fischer <rep.nop at aon.at> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 05:20:31PM +0000, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha
> > wrote:
> > >On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 01:09:43AM +0800, Moot Account wrote:
> >
> > >You can change that behaviour by booting your kernel with
> > "init=/linuxrc
> > >root=/dev/ram0", and then the kernel runs linuxrc as init (IIRC).
> >
> > resp. root=0100 which wastes less memory ;)
> >
> > btw, is there a way to flush all or some of these convenience vars out
> > of
> > the kernel-mem perhaps if CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y ? Didn't look yet, i admit..
> >

> By convenience vars, do you mean such as /dev/ram0?  If so, turning of
> sysfs support will get rid of them.  In many embedded scenarios sysfs
> doesn't buy you much anyway.  If you are hotplugging or something similar
> though, the space savings are not likely to be worth not having sysfs.

Nevermind, I figured out what you were really asking.   I have never seen a
scenario (CONFIG_EMBEDDED or otherwise) where the full parameters were not
available via /proc/cmdline.  I'm guessing that means there isn't currently
a way to get them out of memory.

If anything, the linux-tiny guys might have a config option to do that.