OSL Power Outage 5/26

Ned Ludd solar at gentoo.org
Sat May 27 02:10:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 19:53 -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 May 2006 11:50 pm, Ned Ludd wrote:
> > On Friday, May 26th 15:00 - 19:00 UTC  (8:00 - 12:00 PST)
> >
> > The OSL has been remodeling it's new Data Center. As part of it's
> > remodeling efforts, the power infrastructure in one it's server rooms
> > is being replaced with a dedicated UPS unit. We will probably have to
> > shut down the server known as morris by 14:50 UTC on that day till the
> > migration efforts are complete.
> >
> > We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but the end result
> > will benefit us all. OSL will do it's best to shorten this outage
> > window, and get everything back online as soon as the circuits are
> > switched over.
> >

> > Side note:
> > The box we have hosting our services for the uclibc * busybox projects
> > there is on is an old Compaq Deskpro that could (and probably will) die
> > at any moment. So at this time we are looking for hardware donations. If
> > you value the uClibc/busybox projects and have any decent hardware to
> > spare please contact Erik Andersee, Mike Frysinger or myself. If the box
> > does die in the near future or we can't scrape enough decent parts
> > together we would have the option to be shifted to a XEN vm after OSL's
> > new Data Center is light up.
>
> You know, there are $500 x86-64 boxes at the Fry's in Austin that blow away
> the capabilities of Morris.  (Too bad I'm in Pittsburgh these days, but I've
> got friends down there who can buy and mail something for me...)
>
> What are your form factor requirements for a new box?  (Or do you prefer to
> buy it yourselves?)

Well preferably 1-4U rack mounted to go into the new shinny
Dell racks http://prettyboy.osuosl.org/

The xen VM is also an option (and free to us). If we wanted to go that
route we would be put on a server with about a max 9 other FOSS projects
unless we requested 2 VM's 1 for bb and 1 for uclibc. The specs on that
would probably be a dual xeon or dual core HT enabled ((2.8GHZ * 2)*2)
with about 512M per ram per VM slice and about 20G of disk. It's a bit
flexible depending on our needs also. A downside of a xen vm slice is
that VM's can do nothing to prevent real CPU bugs so an adjacent FOSS
project running on the same physical hardware could very well cause us
to become compromised. But I seriously doubt that would be a problem.
One cool advantage for us and being on a VM slice is that we would gain
effortless full system nightly backups for free and if a fatal crash
were ever to happen for any reason we could be restored almost
immediately in a new VM slice.

As for the performance, OSL has got a couple dozen vm's with happy
reviews all around..  dot.kde.org runs on one and gets hammered quite
often. The admins praise it.

My personal preference is always physical hardware and
Gentoo Hardened uClibc based installs :)

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/pedge_2850
(thanks to Intel for donating a bunch of those 2850 to the OSL)

--
Ned Ludd <solar at gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux