.orig files

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri May 26 21:07:48 UTC 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 10:20 am, Richard Kojedzinszky wrote:
> Of course, I used the tarball... :)
>
> I always use the tarballs, as I assume that they are stable enough to be
> tarballed. :))

Huh...

Interesting.  When a patch applies with an offset (but otherwise applies
fine), patch generates an .orig file.  I hadn't noticed.  (Just did a diff
between the coreutils/ls.c.orig and coreutils/ls.c and it is indeed the patch
that was applied to go from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3.)

I'll clean that out in future.  The thing is, I'm trying to apply exactly the
same patch that went into the development branch where possible, so I can say
"this is the last stable plus svn numbers XXXXX, XXXXX, XXXXX..."  That way,
you get exactly the patch we've been testing in the -devel tree for a longish
time.

I fixup patches that have rejected hunks, (or which squash long series like
the less stuff).  But not ones that just apply with an offset.