portability touch-up (and ~15k size-savings)

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 25 19:40:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 06:26:35PM +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have introduced one central knob to turn off long options..
>
>    text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
>  881507	  11420	 646244	1539171	 177c63	busybox_old
>  866387	  11196	 645732	1523315	 173e73	busybox.no_getopt_long
>
> This patch is part of my ongoing effort to make busybox a little more
> portable (resp. less linux-centric).
> Unfortunately the portability diff is getting relatively big
> (69962 bytes)..

:)))))

I like this direction. Is your combined portability diff based on lots
of the patches I've sent, or other things you've found?

BTW about getopt_long... it might be worth dropping getopt entirely
and making a lightweight libbb function for handling options (both
short and long). The bloated GNU permutation thing is only needed if
the calling app wants to use the standard getopt loop idiom for
command line parsing; without that requirement the code could probably
be much smaller and still duplicate the commandline semantics.

Rich