svn 15167

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu May 25 15:45:26 UTC 2006

I've fallen a bit behind on the list due to the debugging thing I'm focusing
on at work, but I noticed svn 15167.

I think busybox should work under its _own_ shells, and being able to run the
busybox test suite is one of my 8 gazillion planned test cases for bbsh.
(Which I need to free up some time to work on soon, I know.)  The solution
isn't to dumb down the tests, the solution is to unify and then fix the
busybox shell.  It's an existing todo item of mine.  (I've got a more recent
snapshot at http://busybox.net/~landley/todo.txt but it's still incomplete,
and I need to collate it with the big TODO in svn.)

That said, if there's serious talk of dropping Red Hat 9 as a supported build
environment, why on EARTH would anybody anywhere care about _older_ FreeBSD?
I certainly don't.

Some of this shell crotchetiness is just NOT SANE, such as:

> *) Some older shells do not allow a space after the test-condition in an
"if"
> statement. This doesn't work:
> if [ $status -ne 0 ] ; then
> as opposed to this:
> if [ $status -ne 0 ]; then
> or this
> if [ $status -ne 0 ]
> then

I.E. we need a shell that can handle all those cases, built into busybox so we
can run under it if the system's shell is that brittle.

And the $() syntax nests sanely.  `` does not.