How to disable Ctrl-C during init (initial ramdisk / normal init)

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue May 23 15:46:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 10:22:53AM -0500, Michael S. Zick wrote:

> > > Keep the customer away from console.  Like don't wire it out of the box.
> >
> > I disagree with this principle. It's certainly reasonable to have a
> > kiosk or other type of system where untrusted users can access the
> > keyboard, and not want them to be able to perform privileged
> > operations using it!
> >

> I was unclear - don't wire out /dev/console.
>
> Does not mean you do not bring out other devices for the attachment
> of keyboards accepting user input.
>
> That is: Let init run on /dev/console and allow physical access by
> users on /dev/something_else.

While there are some additional semantics, /dev/console is the same as
/dev/tty0 which is in turn the same as the currently selected virtual
terminal. Unless of course you mean to connect /dev/console to a
serial device, which depends on actually having a serial device. All
of this sounds incredibly stupid to me. NO device, whether local,
remote, connected, unconnected, etc. should unconditionally allow
random people to interfere with system processes. It's just bad,
insecure system design.

Rich