init on uClinux

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu May 18 20:52:05 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 3:04 pm, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> On 5/17/06, Alexander Krause <alexander.krause at erazor-zone.de> wrote:
> > > How does init work on uClinux? Or does it work? (I'm thinking of fork
> > > v. vfork.)
> >
> > I'm using BB's init with uclib without any trouble since some months now
> > ;-)
>
> It's good to know that it works. Since init calls fork and not vfork,
> on uClinux I'd expect fork to return ENOSYS and init to bail. Who
> knows what magic makes this work?

A patch uClinux applies to BusyBox, I'd expect.

I have a project queued up to change all fork/exec pairs in busybox to
bb_spawn(), which will also replace bb_fork_daemon_rexec() (which is too ugly
for words...) and presumably bb_xdaemon() too.

It's a bit down on the todo list.  I've got a co-worker poking me to finish
the config system update to 2.6.16 (and the related miniconfig work), and
that's probably the last significant chunk of new development I'm going to
try to get in before the feature freeze.  (Since problems in the config
system cause build breaks rather than runtime breaks...)