Out of morbid curiosity:

ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov
Thu May 18 20:09:11 UTC 2006

Rob -

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 03:45:17PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> Does anybody have an idea what these idiots are blathering about?
> http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/May/1010272.html

All they did was read SuSE-SA:2004:012.
   http://www.novell.com/linux/security/advisories/2004_12_mc.html
The only relevant (to us) section is

2)  Pending vulnerabilities in SUSE Distributions and Workarounds:
  - sharutils [chop]
  - xine, xine-lib, xine-ui [chop]
  - sysconfig [chop]
  - clamav [chop]
  - exim [chop]
  - utempter [chop]
  - busybox
  Busybox does not handle netlink sockets correctly, which allows
  local attackers to spoof netlink messages to the busybox process
  New packages are available on our FTP servers.
  - monit [chop]
  - ethereal [chop]
  - kphone [chop]

> I mention this because reading it gives me no idea what vulnerability they're
> talking about (we use netlink?  Where?  For what?)  It's 2 years old, they
> apparently never bothered to report it to _us_, they provide no means to ask
> for more information...

Try sending an email to Thomas Biege, his name and e-mail is at
the top of the SUSE advisory.

I also find
  http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/9.3/i386/suse/i586/busybox-debuginfo-1.00-3.i586.html
a changelog entry
* Tue May 11 2004 - nashif at suse.de
  - Bug #39461 - Fixes netlink vulnerability
right before they updated to 1.00-rc1.

Maybe this in combination with Bernhard's pointer can help
figure out what happened two years ago.

    - Larry