a simple request: apply all outstanding patches.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed May 17 20:51:53 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 8:35 am, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > i appreciate all that but, at the same time, if i'm *encouraged* to
> > submit patches, and i *submit* patches, i eventually need some
> > feedback to understand that those patches are going to be acted upon
> > at some point.  otherwise, i start losing interest in submitting.
>
> I appreciate you submitted them. Even if they get rejected, I have the
> possibility to search the archives and find them if those should be a
> problem for me.
>
> thanks!

As maintainer, I owe people rejection notices if I decide not to apply their
patch.  I realize this.  I just have Mt. Patchmore accumulated on my laptop
of stuff I haven't had a chance to even review yet.  (Reading patches isn't
quite as slow as writing them, but it's not like reading email...)

> > and, as i mentioned, given that there is now a target date for the
> > next release, this would seem to be the perfect time to work through
> > that backlog and deal with all outstanding submitted patches, one way
> > or the other.
>
> That is probably also why he announced a feature freeze.

To be honest, it simply hadn't occurred to me that announcing a freeze would
stimulate a flood of last minute patches.  (You may laugh now.)

> Maybe we could
> get a list of things/patches that are supposed to get into the 1.2
> release

Like the list Dennis Vlasenko kindly put together and resubmitted several
times and I STILL haven't made it all the way through yet?

Yeah, I need to give him svn access too.  If he applies something I deeply
disagree with, I can always clean it up after the fact (or even revert it
with an explanation of _why_), but it shouldn't be hanging around
unresolved...

> so we can check if our earlier submitted patches are forgotten
> or not?

If I don't reply for more than about 2 weeks, it's probably forgotten.  I
almost certainly still _have_ it, but the likelihood I'll get around to it
without prodding is lowish.  The new patches just don't stop coming in, and
there's always more to do...