a simple request: apply all outstanding patches.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed May 17 20:41:17 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 8:16 am, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 07:28 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   while i realize that the BB maintainers have a lot on their
> > respective plates at the moment, i want to make what i think is a
> > simple and not unreasonable request:  would you folks *please* process
> > the patches that you've received in the last little while?
>
> [ cutted some expression of frustration ]
>
> If you read the messages in this list latest days you would have noticed
> that:
>
> 1) It seems like Landley is the only one reviewing and commiting patch
> contributions.

I'm reviewing and commiting other people's patches, including large ones, on a
regular basis.  Bernhard Fischer and Mike Frysinger commit mostly their own
stuff.

> 2) there are *many* patches posted to this list.

Another half-dozen today.

> 3) Those patches needs to be reviewd and tested - people are fast on
> complainging if anything anything gets commited that breaks the build.

Which is inevitable.  That's why it's a development branch...

> 4) Landley is  doing as good as he can, as fast as he can.
> 5) It seems like Landley has a life outside busybox. (which is good)
> 6) The workload is probably a slightly more than he (or anyone?) can
> handle, or at least close to the limit.

In theory this is why there's more than one svn commiter.

In general, if somebody wants to commit their own patches and I trust that
developer to do a decent job (and I do trust Robert Day to do a good job and
not need regular cleaning up after), then he can ask for svn access.

What you do is you email me a public svn key and I'll create you an account on
busybox.net you can ssh in.  Then you can use passwordless ssh to have commit
access to the busybox svn repository, ala:

http://busybox.net/developer.html

> Now if you add those things together you will figure out that it is a
> kind of stressful situation for Landley, which means its easy to forget
> things, so your patch has probably either been forgotten or are still
> pending.

I have 38 patches in my busybox directory, and about 150 messages in my email
system marked to do.  This is not counting my own development work.  Stuff is
dropping on the floor left and right, yes.

> The situation could probably be different, though. Maybe we need more
> patch reviewers/ testers/commiters, maybe we should stop posting patches
> on the mailing list and use the bug reporting tool,

Oh please no.  I haven't looked at the bug reporting website in a month
(although I know I need to as part of the 1.2.0 stabilization cycle).  I
can't keep up with the mailing list...

No, it sounds like what Day wants is svn access.  Email me offline, ok?