tar -p and usernames vs. uid's

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed May 17 19:20:42 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 6:23 am, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > No, I mean the fix I applied to my tree is simpler than your fix, but I
> > seem to have screwed it up.  (Haven't had time to look at it today, it's
> > attached though...)
>
> Maybe here
>
> +               readSize = TAR_BLOCK_SIZE - (readSize & TAR_BLOCK_SIZE);
>
> You need (readSize & (TAR_BLOCK_SIZE-1))

I got that part a few days ago.  Unfortunately, my current patch (attached)
which is more similar to your patch than the previous one because I got it
smaller, does something funky.  When I tar up the 2.6.16 kernel tree with
busybox tar and then untar it with gnu tar...

Well, how about this one?

busybox tar xvjf linux-2.6.15.tar.bz2
tar: pax is not tar

Which is just confusing, since the changes I made should only apply to
_compression_, not decompression, and that's a tarball right off of
kernel.org...