a simple request: apply all outstanding patches.

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Wed May 17 12:16:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 07:28 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   while i realize that the BB maintainers have a lot on their
> respective plates at the moment, i want to make what i think is a
> simple and not unreasonable request:  would you folks *please* process
> the patches that you've received in the last little while?

[ cutted some expression of frustration ]

If you read the messages in this list latest days you would have noticed
that:

1) It seems like Landley is the only one reviewing and commiting patch
contributions.
2) there are *many* patches posted to this list.
3) Those patches needs to be reviewd and tested - people are fast on
complainging if anything anything gets commited that breaks the build.
4) Landley is  doing as good as he can, as fast as he can.
5) It seems like Landley has a life outside busybox. (which is good)
6) The workload is probably a slightly more than he (or anyone?) can
handle, or at least close to the limit.

Now if you add those things together you will figure out that it is a
kind of stressful situation for Landley, which means its easy to forget
things, so your patch has probably either been forgotten or are still
pending.

Now, IMHO, the last thing you need/deserve to hear in that situation is
that you are not doing good enough. Rob is without doubt doing great
sacrifices for busybox and the last thing I would like to see is Landly
getting a burn out.

The situation could probably be different, though. Maybe we need more
patch reviewers/ testers/commiters, maybe we should stop posting patches
on the mailing list and use the bug reporting tool, maybe the bug
reporting tool could be replaced by trac or bugzilla. Those work-flow
tools helps alot to not forget submitted patches and help prioritize
which ones are important and which ones can wait.

In any case, I doubt Rob has the time to do any big changes in the
workflow right now and we might want to discuss how/if things could be
changed after the next release.

Until then, I think we should be patient (I know you are, but I'm asking
for even more patience) and try to help Landley out as much as possible
and try avoid giving him more work.

that was my $.02

/nat