hdparm utilizes shared memory for no good reason ?

Tito farmatito at tiscali.it
Tue May 16 11:49:30 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 08:19, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> was trying to use `hdparm -t` on a uClinux host when it failed with:
> could not allocate sharedmem buf
>
> this is because hdparm uses shm* functions to get a buffer of memory ... but
> afaict, there's no reason a buffer created on the stack/heap wouldnt work
> just as well

> could someone enlighten me as to why the shm* stuff is needed ?
> -mike

It is what  the real hdparm does,  after Rob applies my pending shrinkage
and bugfix patch I can try to write a fix for that ... if you haven't one already.
Please notice that the patch contains an update for the timing functions
to the code of hdparm 6.6+, but i'm sure it uses the shm* stuff the same.

Ciao,
Tito