find -print0 (was Re: svn commit: trunk/busybox )

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri May 12 20:51:51 UTC 2006

On Friday 12 May 2006 11:20 am, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 10:58:36AM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> > anyway, back to the subject line:  i just committed -print0 support
> > for find.  so that line can remain in the makefile.  :-)
>
> I still find it unfortunate since the host system compiling BB might
> not have -print0.

Our metric is that we should build under both the gnu tools and our own tools.

> Imagine a system running an old version of BB trying
> to build and install a new version.. :)

A) Considering that until I did firmware linux it wasn't possible to for a
busybox system to rebuild itself under itself at _all_, that's a pretty weak
argument.  (And the first version that didn't require patches to do so was
fairly recent, either 1.1.0 or 1.1.1.)

B) If we have to do something like this: http://www.busybox.net/FAQ.html#sed
I can live with that.