tar -p and usernames vs. uid's

Denis Vlasenko vda at ilport.com.ua
Sat May 6 13:13:07 UTC 2006

On Friday 05 May 2006 23:08, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Thursday 04 May 2006 6:56 pm, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > Could anybody please take a short look at the previously posted update
> > for the tar uname/gname patch and get it committed?
> >
> > http://www.busybox.net/lists/busybox/2006-April/020789.html
>
> Sorry, this got blocked because my copy of tar is hacked up with a modified
> version of Dennis Vlasenko's write coalesce fix, which is A) much simpler, B)
> doesn't work.  I've been meaning to track down why.  (I'm getting the padding
> sizes wrong somewhere...)

Just built with write coalesce fix, and tarred up the build tree:

# ./busybox tar cf - . | md5sum
ca14e9cb6d9bb580b736ee6f04a1ae8a  -

# ../busybox.org/busybox tar cf - . | md5sum
ca14e9cb6d9bb580b736ee6f04a1ae8a  -

Looks like there is no difference.

Please send me a testcase which fails for you.
--
vda