Shells in 1.1.2

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu May 4 16:20:55 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 7:57 pm, Joe Shaw wrote:
> hardware platform was x86, no cross-compile going on
> i'm at home, i'd have to detail my configs tomorrow but....

Odd.  Which compiler version?

They work fine for me here...

> i compiled it to be static, so maybe some libraries were missing, i'll
> see
> i did it several ways though, just building busybox with my config
> native to my system
> built it native to my system with the default config

Try this:

tar xjvf busybox-1.1.2.tar.bz2
cd busybox-1.1.2
make defconfig
make
./busybox lash -c "echo hello"

If that works, try running lash interactively, ala "./busybox lash"

You tried all four shells?  (I'm suggesting lash because it's smallest and
simplest...)

> i even did buildroot (btw, when buildroot builds busybox, does it to it
> with uClibc? i'm not sure) and it didn't work there (im sure that was a
> dynamic build)

Buildroot uses uClibc, yes.

> and i even downloaded one the pre-compiled buildroot uClibc toolchain
> for i386 and no go there
> other busybox apps worked, like ls, ifconfig, and what not
>
> being new to linux, by device the console attaches to, i tihnk you mean
> console, tty0, tty1-4, etc. am i right?  if so, how can i determine

Run "tty" (or ./busybox tty), it'll tell you what device your console is
currently attached to.