How to enable iptables user interface on busybox version 1.00 ?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue May 2 20:31:58 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 10:10 am, Jason Schoon wrote:
> On 5/2/06, malvika joshi <zenith.of.perfection at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to enable iptables on busybox 1.00 .How do I do it ?
> > If this is not possible in this version, is there a patch for it?
> > Is there any other version of busybox that has this support?
>
> There is no iptables support in busybox.  This is a kernel/system issue,
> not a question for the busybox list.

It's a common enough use case that I could see adding it as an applet.  If we
need ifconfig and dhcp, we probably need iptables.  (Every home router in the
world tends to care about this, for example.)

Unfortunately, writing a small and simple implementation isn't necessarily
easy.  Network code tends to require a lot of cleanup, and iptables is a
little too close to a programming language for my tastes (although most of
the complexity of it is actually in the kernel, not in the userspace part).
And my distro has a /lib/iptables that's full of a gazillion little .so
files, which we're definitely not doing...

But I'm in no rush to put it in, and nobody's stepped forward with a patch
anyway.  For now, the best I can say is to build the external one.