COLUMNS in busybox?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon May 1 21:54:35 UTC 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 3:41 pm, Rich Felker wrote:
> > Also note that this can't automatically correct if you resize an xterm
> > after the shell launches your applet, so it's never going to be reliable.
>
> COLUMNS in the shell is "supposed to" (loosely speaking since there is
> no standard)

Sure there's a standard.

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/sh.html
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/idx/shell.html

It just doesn't mention "COLUMNS". :)

I already have several examples of variables that need to be dynamically
calculated each time (like $? and $RANDOM), and am prepared to handle them in
bbsh.  If it hadn't been for the darn udhcp fiasco I was going to try to get
a "capable of replacing lash" version in this release...