minimal requirements for build C compiler?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Jun 1 00:58:09 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 9:48 pm, Andre wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > we're not telling you your compiler is outdated, we're telling you
> > you're using a broken compiler
>
> If 'broken' is defined as 'has known bugs' then I have no argument
> that gcc 3.4.x for ARM is broken (although I would disagree that this
> is the normal definition...).
>
> That isn't really the point though.
>
> The point is that writing code which relies on undocumented behaviour
> within an optimisation pass of the compiler is/was risky and this
> time you lost. Please just admit it, shrug it off and move on ;-)

It's documented and Turbo C did it right in the 1980's.  A call to the
function makes it to the linker pass, the optimizer has failed to perform
dead code elimination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_code_elimination

The previous time this bit us, we worked around the compiler bug.  More
recently, we _did_ shrug it off and move on. :)