any value to supporting swap version 0 and *really* old kernels?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 30 02:16:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Rob Landley wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 5:16 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i just noticed the option (under minix filesystems) for
> > selecting swap V0 support, despite the fact that this version of
> > swap hasn't been supported for years.  but there's more to it than
> > that.
> >
> >   i notice that util-linux/mkswap.c appreciates that swap V1 was
> > introduced in kernel 2.1.117 but this raises a couple of
> > questions. first, are there really people still using such an old
> > kernel that they would need swap V0 support?
>
> Current busybox versions are aimed at 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.  We don't
> intentionally break 2.2 kernels, but we don't have specific support
> for them either.

but, as i said earlier, even 2.2 kernels were already using swap V1.
you have to go all the way back to the 2.0 kernel to *require* support
for swap V0, and i'm pretty sure no one is interested in investing
time to support the 2.0 kernel.

personally, i'd just remove swap V0 support.  i really don't see it
having much value and, with every passing day, even *that* minimal
value decreases.

rday