patch: unzip succeeds with CRC errors

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Tue Mar 28 19:38:25 UTC 2006

 > > > correctly reporting failure hardly seems like a "regression" to
 > > > me, though granted, you're probably coming at this from an
 > > > interactive use point of view ("dammit, i want as many files as i
 > > > can get"), and i'm coming at it from the point of view of
 > > > scriptability ("it failed.  stop now").
 > >
 > > What does "tar" do?
 >
 > In a tar file, either the damage is undetectable or unrecoverable,
 > IIRC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

gnu tar detects and delays exit as long as possible.  as for unzip, in
some cases only one file is affected, in others all subsequent files
are affected.

busybox tar behaves like busybox unzip did -- it reports the error,
and exits successfully.  having just fixed this in unzip, i'll take
a look at tar.

 > > I lean towards thinking that if you want to do forensic work on damaged zip
 > I disagree strongly, for two reasons:

it's moot now (i hope) since i commited the delay-exit strategy
yesterday.  i realized that if i only handled the CRC errors, and
not the permission and incompatible node errors, testing was pretty
easy.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com