busybox_1_1_stable branch [was: Re: is NFS mounting borked in bb-1.1.1?]

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Mon Mar 27 08:18:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 09:31:14PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
>On Friday 24 March 2006 8:47 am, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   after upgrading to bb-1.1.1 earlier this morning, i have been
>> *utterly* unable to successfully NFS mount what used to work just fine
>> under bb-1.00.  (bb-1.1.1 on client, NFS server running on FC4
>> system.)

>I don't use nfs so I have no idea, but I'm pondering having a
>"busybox-1.1.1.fixes.patch" in the download directory that we add to if we
>find stupid stuff like the losetup dependency thing.  (I'm not releasing a
>1.1.1, but I can have a patch to fix known issues...)
>
>Each of these fixes would of course need to be checked into the current tree
>first.  (Something to resolve the issue, anyway.  Not necessarily the same
>exact patch.)
>
>Comments?

This is IMO supposed to be done via a stable branch of busybox, which we
currently still don't have:

$ svn ls svn://busybox.net/branches/
busybox_0_60_stable/
busybox_1_00_stable/
uClibc-nptl/
$

The busybox_1_1_stable branch would be open for fixes only. Other
projects have the convention that fixes for stable branches are checked
into trunk first (if appropriate) and tested there for a few days and
only then are applied to the stable branch. I think that this convention
makes sense.

PS:
<blindvt_> andersee, landley, oh and could you two please make sure that
we have a branch for the stable busybox-1.1.x series?
<andersee> blindvt_: certainly
PPS: I'm *assuming* that there is a 1.1.1 release as i can't seem to
find an announcement thereof in the ML archives. A simple
 Subject: busybox 1.1.1 released
 Detailed announcement will follow later on
would have done it for me..