udhcp and busybox

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Mon Mar 27 04:17:48 UTC 2006

 > On Mar 26, 2006, at 9:26, Paul Fox wrote:
 >
 > >> Hello Rob.  If you are working on shrinking udhcp, I have a feature
 > >> request.  Could it be made to not require a shell script.  I imagine
 > >> 90% of people using it just need to set the gateway, IP address, and
 > >> DNS servers. So it could have a few new options:
 > >
 > > what's wrong with needing the script?  all it seems you're doing is
 > > hard-coding a bunch of actions that may or may not be suitable or
 > > complete for all users.
 >
 > It first hit me when I was using buildroot - all of busybox worked
 > right after installing except udhcpc, which had the following issues:
 >
 > 	* it required a script, which isn't installed by buildroot

sounds like a bug in buildroot, no?

 > 	* by default it wants a /usr/share directory, whereas nothing else does

that could certainly be fixed.

 > 	* the sample script is dead wrong.  It creates multiple
 >        defaultgateways

perhaps the default script should be changed.

 > 	* changing the script to be correct took over an hour
 >
 > So it's a matter of usability. I shouldn't have to learn an API just
 > to get an IP address.  I believe it can work out of the box for most
 > users.  So it should.  Hardcoding the actions in C is just a simpler
 > way to achieve that.  It doesn't require changes to the install and
 > is less prone to breakage.

clearly if you can do what you want while maintaining some semblance
of backward compatibility so that scripts continue to work, and
if a working script remains in the bb tree, then there's not much
to argue with.  i've just never used udhcp on a system that didn't
have special networking needs.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com