udhcp and busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Mar 26 20:13:12 UTC 2006

On Saturday 25 March 2006 11:30 pm, Devin Bayer wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2006, at 18:02, Rob Landley wrote:
> > I suppose I'll just have to check my cleaned up version into the
> > networking
> > directory and adjust stuff to build it from there.  Luckily, the
> > end result
> > should be just one .c file, not a dozen random pieces...
>
> Hello Rob.  If you are working on shrinking udhcp, I have a feature
> request.  Could it be made to not require a shell script.

Making the shell script optional is a priority, yes.

> I imagine
> 90% of people using it just need to set the gateway, IP address, and
> DNS servers. So it could have a few new options:
>
> 	-g     set the gateway if no gateway is set on another interface
> 	-o     delete any other gateways first
> 	-d     edit /etc/resolv.conf
> 	-V     be verbose

Hadn't planned on getting that fancy.  If you need that, use a shell script.
The dhcp client can easily export all the data it collected from the server
into either command line arguments or environment variables (I haven't looked
at what it's currently doing yet).  The common case is "dhcp interface" and
it responds by doing "ifconfig interface xx.xx.xx.xx/xx && route add default
gw xx.xx.xx.xx", which should require no external dependencies or
configuration.