libbb/create_icmp6.socket.c: why is entire code conditional?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 26 19:02:29 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Jason Schoon wrote:

> Okay, what is that reason exactly?  You have just stated that in
> your opinion it is wrong.  Have you seen a mailing list or universal
> Internet email formatting guideline that specifies that replies must
> be on the bottom (buried under potentially tons of replies)?

this is what google was invented for:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2005-09,GGGL:en&q=%22top+posting%22+evil

in addition, if you're submitting a post in which your answer is
buried under "potentially tons of replies", all that means is that you
were too lazy to remove extraneous or superfluous material before
replying.  that is not a weakness of bottom-posting, it is a user
error.

this issue comes up on a *regular* basis on mailing lists.  and the
result is always the same.

> > I have no problem with some files having conditional code on this
> > > option (I have submitted patches that have done just that).
> > > However, in the case where an entire file is wrapped in a config
> > > option, we should let the configuration system handle it, rather
> > > than the preprocessor.
> >
> > however, as i pointed out, the fact that the entire code from that
> > source file is wrapped in a conditional is really just a fluke.
> > all of the other files in libbb/ have the IPV6-related code in the
> > same source file as the IPv4 stuff, so this single outlier should
> > not be treated as an exception.
> >
> > rday
> >

> Okay, either way.  I thought since you were suggesting 2 options
> that you wanted opinions from others.  It appears that you actually
> believe one of them to be correct, and have already submitted a
> patch, so there really isn't any discussion to be had here.

all i did was submit a patch that corresponded to one of those
solutions.  if the powers-that-be want to toss the patch and do it the
other way, i'm fine with that.

i just know that every suggestion on this list is (justifiably) met
with a polite suggestion to submit a patch, so i did, that's all.  i'm
not demanding that it be used and my feelings won't be hurt either
way.

rday